VI Update

USVI Public Records

A VI Update Project · Brian LoudenThe territory’s public record — kept public.

Christiansted National Historic Site

Collection
Federal Reference
Sub-shelf
npshistory.com (National Park Service)
Kind
Reference Document
Island
St. Croix
Pages
1
Text
OCR Text

ot Z, “Zauctioned in the yard. Visiting the Park Take a walking tour of principal his- toric buildings to sample the town’s Danish past. Begin your tour at: 1 Fort Christiansvaern, completed 1749, added to 1835-41, protected the town from pirates, privateers, and slave uprisings. It was a police station and courthouse after 1878. It now features military exhibits. 2 The Steeple Building (1753) was St. Croix’s first Lutheran church. Its steeple was completed in 1796. The congregation moved in 1831, and y the building became a bakery, hos- pital, and school in turn. 3 The Danish West India & Guinea 7~,,Company Warehouse (1749) housed offices and storerooms. Slaves were Christiansted National His- people so that all may ex- toric Site is one of more perience our heritage. Go Christiansted than 380 parks in the Na- to www.nps.gov to learn National Historic Site tional Park System. …

Download the original document · Plain text (TXT) · Browse the archive · How this archive works

Original source: http://npshistory.com/publications/chri/map.pdf

SHA-256 a62bfa0f51c3167bbe2df16515c22554b7f4e04e1b93a4bdf8e08a8ba95cb1ce

Re-using this document

Our description, tagging, arrangement, extracted text and machine transcripts are released under CC0 1.0. We assert nothing about the document itself.

Archive identifier LF-a62bfa0f51c3

Document text

ot Z, “Zauctioned in the yard. Visiting the Park Take a walking tour of principal his- toric buildings to sample the town’s Danish past. Begin your tour at: 1 Fort Christiansvaern, completed 1749, added to 1835-41, protected the town from pirates, privateers, and slave uprisings. It was a police station and courthouse after 1878. It now features military exhibits. 2 The Steeple Building (1753) was St. Croix’s first Lutheran church. Its steeple was completed in 1796. The congregation moved in 1831, and y the building became a bakery, hos- pital, and school in turn. 3 The Danish West India & Guinea 7~,,Company Warehouse (1749) housed offices and storerooms. Slaves were Christiansted National His- people so that all may ex- toric Site is one of more perience our heritage. Go Christiansted than 380 parks in the Na- to www.nps.gov to learn National Historic Site tional Park System. The more about parks and the 2100 Church St., #100 National Park Service cares National Park Service pro- Christiansted, VI 00820-4611 © for these special places grams in America’s commu- 340-773-1460 saved by the American nities. www.nps.gov/chri by the Virgin Islands gove 4 At the Customs House (1841) the government collected taxes on im- ports and exports.The town's post office was upstairs. 5 In the Scale House (1856) hogs- heads of sugar and puncheons of rum were weighed before export. The weighmaster’s office was on the first floor; soldiers were quartered upstairs. This building replaced an 1840 wooden weighing house. 6 Government House was complet- ed in 1830 by connecting two im- posing 18th-century townhouses, Gov.-Gen. Peter von Scholten had his office here. The second-floor re- ception hall is restored to its 1840s appearance. The building is owned 7 The Lutheran Church (1744), built as the Dutch Reformed Church, was sold in 1831 to Lutherans, moving here from the Steeple Building, tak- ing with them most of the furnish- ings. The steeple is a later addition. For your safety Remember: driving > a. is on the left. Inside the fort, do not ‘: climb on cannons or stand on walls... Hours The park is open all year, .-4 except Thanksgiving and Christmas days, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. It opens at 9 a.m. weekends and federal holidays. ay ™ = nment. For information